This is my ALL time favorite chicken enchilada dish to make! Everyone will love it, even the kids and its just as good for a next day warm up if you didn’t finish it all 🙂 It only has a few ingredients that really bring out the flavor in these chicken enchiladas! Please let me know what you think, i would love to hear from ya.
- 1 big can of enchilada sauce- use ‘Las Palmas enchilada sauce’ (if you can’t make homemade sauce)
- salt and pepper to coat the chicken
- 4 cloves of garlic- minced
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion- chopped
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese ( or can add a mixture with cheddar & monterey jack cheese)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped (save about 2 tbsp to garnish the top)
- 4 tbsp olive oil, for frying the tortillas
- 7 medium corn or flour tortillas ( you can use more if you have the room)
- cooking spray
- guacamole and sour cream for garnish- (optional)
*you can make your own mole sauce if you have the time, but ill be posting my recipe on homemade mole sauce so watch out for it!*
**Want more spiciness? Then add some chopped jalapeños to the chicken mixture! :)**
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Add minced garlic to the enchilada sauce in a deep skillet and heat to boiling. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the chicken breasts and then place the chicken breasts into the skillet with the sauce. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 15-20 minutes. Remove the chicken from the sauce, set aside and let the chicken and the sauce cool.
- Get two forks, shred the chicken breasts by holding one fork steady and slowly scraping the other fork, prongs faced backwards, away from the other fork. Transfer the shredded chicken to a large bowl. Add half the enchilada sauce, chopped onion, 1 cup cheddar cheeses and the 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro to the shredded chicken. Stir until all is combined
- warm the tortillas on a paper towel for about 15-20 seconds until warmed.
- Using cooking spray or olive oil, grease a 9-inch x 13-inch baking dish. Spoon about 1/3 cup of the chicken mixture along the center of the tortilla. Gently, but firmly, roll the tortilla around the filling and place into the baking dish, seam-side down. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Lightly spray on the exposed tortillas with olive oil. This will help the tortillas get crispy on the outside. Place baking dish in the oven, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until the tortillas begin to turn golden and crisp.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 400 degrees. Remove the baking dish from the oven. Pour the remaining sauce over the enchiladas. Lightly cover the baking dish with foil and place into the oven for 20 minutes. Carefully remove foil after 20 minutes is done and top it with the 1/2 cup of shredded cheese and about 2tbsp of chopped cilantro. Then bake, uncovered, for an additional 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is golden and melted all the way through.
- Remove from the oven and let stand 5-10 minutes prior to serving this yummy dish. If you want you can add some sour cream and some more chopped cilantro for a garnish if want to! ENJOY!